Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where is my library card?
- Your library card is the student or staff ID card you are issued at the beginning of the school year. If you are not full-time student at a specific campus, your student # can be found on your Registration Form from Student Services. If you are employed part-time and do not have an ID card, your staff ID # can be found on your paystub. You should carry your ID card with you at all times while on campus!
What is my PIN?
- Each member of the NC community is assigned a Personal Identification Number by the library's automated system. Your PIN is the last 4 digits of your student or staff ID #. Your PIN is required to log in to most library resources including eBook collections, databases, video streaming, and certain library catalogue functions.
I forgot my student card. Can I still check out a book?
- Yes, you can. Photo ID such as a driver's license, health card, or passport can be used.
I need to pay a library fine.
- You can pay a library fine at the library using cash. We also accept non-perishable food items for the foodbank.
I need to return books but the library is closed.
- There is a book drop located outside the main library entrance where books can be dropped off after hours.
What is a reserve?
- Reserve items are books, book chapters, articles, and other materials that have a limited loan period.
I have lost personal property in the library.
- Items forgotten in the library are turned over to the Lost & Found located at Student Services at the end of the business day.
Have you received an overdue item notice?
- Once a book is 7 days overdue, an overdue notice is sent to you via email as a reminder to return the book as soon as possible.
A block has been placed on my library account. What does this mean?
- If a block has been placed on your library account, it means that you have a book overdue or you have unpaid fines totaling $5.00 or more. The block will be removed when the book is returned & the fine isn't over $5.00 or if you pay your fine total to below $5.00.
How do I renew a book?
- Items can be renewed using the MY ACCOUNT section in the library's online catalogue (northern.ocls.ca), by phoning the Circulation Desk at your local campus during regular business hours, using the Ask The Library function , or coming into the library. Once an item is overdue, it can only be renewed by calling or visiting your local campus library.